System Development — Analysis & Coordination
M.I.B. Chock, LLC has its roots in the system development industry and provides consulting services to developers and to managers of the development process.
Margaret Chock has designed and developed computer systems for decades, her knowledge of software development enhanced by her PhD in Computer Science (UCLA), and evolving with changes in technology and improvements in best practices -- gaining experience as the same issues surface over and over.
She frequently works with associates who also have years of experience in designing and developing computer systems. Together they have helped clients through the full life cycle of developing new computer systems and the procedures to use them, also in many other cases through just a single part of the process.
As a forensic consultant, she has seen many examples of how NOT to run a project!
Our services include consulting on:
- Small individual projects. Our experience includes numerous projects covering a variety of needs. Let us know your need.
- Formal management of larger teams. We have worked with city, port, aerospace, software, and transportation organizations of all sizes extending on up to helping Fortune 500 consulting firms with the development of training materials and the training and mentoring
System Requirements Analysis
- Step One: Processes
Our first step is to review and document the business processes that will use proposed new system, to make sure it will serve the intended purpose.
We have done this for a utility system for a large city, several systems for a medium and large aerospace firm, a printer, a medical laboratory, a research laboratory, a church, a ridesharing agency, a port, transportation companies, a pavement management company, small non-profits and a freight forwarder. We also studied procedures for a computer leasing company (for a lawsuit).
- Step Two: Technical Requirements
Based on the processes, we develop the technical requirements the system will have to meet to fulfill its intended purpose.
We have provided:
- Requirements for several enterprise Geographic Information Systems for medium and large cities, utilities, transportation companies, and a shipping port.- Specifications for accounting and office management systems for small nonprofits, a medical laboratory, a printer, and a freight forwarder.
- Requirements for several systems for an aerospace firm and a research laboratory - RFP Requests: In a couple of cases, we translated the requirements into formal Requests for Proposal from vendors.
Vendor Analysis for Computer Systems
- We have analyzed vendors for:
Geographic Information Systems for a port and a large city
Mapping System for a utility company
Image Processing and Chemistry Library Systems for a research laboratory
Accounting Systems for two nonprofits
Project Management Software for a consortium of the world's largest aerospace companies.
Graphic Information Systems for a port and a large city
- Case Study of Interest:
We developed a multistage method for comparison of vendors and their technologies for a multi-million-dollar project. This methodology was then used by the client to train other consultants.
System Design & Development
- Contact us for help in analyzing and designing an overall technology architecture that will set the standards for the individual systems that will follow.
- We have done this for several organizations that include a small research laboratory, a large port, and a medium-sized aerospace firm, the latter before and after its merger into a multisite American part of a Fortune Global 500 company.
Note: An initial phase of software design is frequently the selection of an appropriate vendor or set of vendors. See our "Vendor Analysis" section above.
M. I. B. Chock, LLC has a long history in custom-designed software for organizations, including applications in many industries:
- User interface and reporting software for a geographic information system.
- Image processing and data management software for a research laboratory,
- Graphics software for a hospital radiology system.
- Geographic data translation between a number of systems for an aerial photogrammetry
company, a civil engineering company, and a ride-sharing agency..
- Data transfer software for a data warehouse for an aerospace company (design only).
- Member database management and directory publication systems for several small
- Risk metadata management system for an insurance company.
- Cost estimation software for a remote sensing agency (programming only).
- Accounting software for a freight forwarding company.
- Inventory, attendance tracking, and statistical software for a church.
- Data structure for a geographic system for a port (design only).
- Document management system for a transportation agency.
- Radiology software for a hospital.
We have also worked with technical service companies to develop both accounting and technical software, and to analyze the extension of a software product as a basis for a product line.
System Implementation: define requirements, supervise installation and testing
- We have Installed and tested multiple types of software.
- We have defined requirements and supervised carpenters, electricians, HVAC specialists, cable pullers, etc. installing the hardware for enterprise and other systems at a research lab, a port, and a city agency.
- Training on software we developed by ourselves or by other vendors.
- From simple one-on-one coaching to the development and presentation of a formal multi-class curriculum.
Consulting on Ancient Computer Languages
Many companies rely on very old “Legacy” software written decades ago, by programmers who are no longer available. We have experience digging into such systems to analyze the functionality or make repairs. We have worked with:
- Object-oriented languages for Geographic Information Systems (GIS): ArcView, Avenue, Genasys, GDS, IGOS.
- Other object-oriented languages: C++, Visual Basic
- Database management systems: Access, dBase, Knowledgeman, Oracle (v. 4 for PC), SQL.
- Third-generation languages: APL, Basic, Extended BASIC, C, COBOL, FORTRAN (I, II, IV, 77), PL/1
- Assembly language: IBM 360, DEC PDP-11
- Other languages: CSSL, Lotus 123, PDEL (Partial Differential Equations Language)
- Personal Computers & operating systems: Apple (CP/M, Macintosh), PC (Mindset; Windows 2, 98, 2000, XP, Vista)
- Workstations: GE, Sun, Tektronix
- Minicomputers: Harris, DEC PDP-11, DEC VAX (VMS, UNIX), Prime (Primos)
- Mainframes: IBM 704, 360/30, 360/91, 3033 (JCL, MVS, VM, VMS)
Case Studies (Click to Expand)
Proprietary Spatial Analysis System
As a product we initially intended to sell ourselves, we invented a novel approach to data base management and data manipulation for multi-modal images and other types of two- and three-dimensional data. It provides a very flexible platform for modeling biomedical, geographic, or other applications where different types of data interact in complicated ways over a region of interest.
Aerospace Design & Manufacturing
We have worked collaboratively with team members in widely distributed locations across the country and across the world to develop collaboration environments:
- Set up ad-hoc teleconference systems coordinated with visual presentations.
- Managed the installation and operation of video conference systems.
- Develop a federated extranet to link independent companies on the team, while protecting their internal networks from each other.
Note: Teams have consisted of :
- Multiple Sites for One Company
- Parent Company and Subsidiary
- Completely Independent Companies, requiring vastly different approaches.
We developed the requirements for a geographic information system for a major city, and wrote the Request for Proposal. We also developed the GIS requirements and project plan for a smaller one.
Our transportation-related projects include development of software for a large government transportation agency, a commuter ride-sharing agency, a pavement management system developer, and a freight forwarder.
Ocean Port Land Management
Established the information technology capabilities for a large port, which formerly had relied on remote terminals supported by other organizations, designed around a geographic information/ facilities management system. We defined the requirements for the enterprise computer system, and managed it through the full development life cycle: system design, site preparation, installation, staff training, integration of legacy applications, pilot projects, several months of production use, upgrades, expansion, and establishment of an Information Systems Division, coordinating the work of more than 30 people.
Utilities – Wastewater, Gas Pipeline, Leak Detection
- Working with a civil engineering firm, we helped define requirements for a very large city's wastewater pipeline management system, analyzed potential system vendors, and designed and developed custom software.
- We helped the same firm define requirements for a private utility's pipeline management system, and defined mapping requirements and analyzed vendors for a company that provided leak detection services.
Aerospace -- Remote Sensing
- Worked with photogrammetry companies and civil engineering firms to develop data translation procedures and software among various Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to provide map data to ports, cities, and developers.
- Developed geographic remote sensing software that provided the basis for further image processing research in a large university (in medical imaging as well)
- Developed algorithms to improve remote sensing software for a space agency.
Insurance – Risk Metadata Insurance – Risk Metadata
Designed the metadata for an insurance risk system.
Medical Laboratory Requirements
Analyzed accounting and laboratory management requirements for a medical laboratory, and helped our clients develop a Request for Proposal for those systems.
Nonprofit Management Software
- Developed requirements for accounting software for one nonprofit organization, and analyzed vendors.
- For another, we analyzed office procedures and developed member tracking and statistical software.
- For several small organizations we developed member databases and directory reports.